In Platteville and Gilcrest, Colorado
  Platteville Public and Nantes Libraries

Title

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Book Review > Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea Handler

Imperator Librarius
Administrator

I think a lot of people would enjoy this book, however it’s not my favorite compared with her previous titles. This book was more about her on vacation and getting into a little trouble which is nice, but not as funny as her other books which involve her fighting with or pranking people.

Having recently had knee surgery, Chelsea sets out on safari in Africa, very much against the wishes of her doctor and physical therapists. She drags along five of her friends and they head off to South Africa. Chelsea repeatedly disappoints and embarrasses herself and her crew as she moves from camp to camp over a two week period. Chelsea really does love animals and learning about them, so her stories should be of interest to readers who enjoy animal stories. However, I do know that a lot of people find her brash humor to be off-putting.

After drinking her way across Africa, she has a quick layover in the Bahamas. The food in Africa had left Chelsea constipated and she had not used the bathroom in eight days. While out for an early morning swim to work on building her knee strength back up, nature finally makes its call in my favorite part of the book:

“Interesting twist, I thought. It had been so long since I had gone to the bathroom that I had begun the process of accepting that I might never move my bowels again.”

“I hauled ass as quickly as one with a bum leg can effectively haul ass, and made it halfway up the beach before it became crystal clear that I had about thirty seconds to find a place to squat. Let me declare something: I am not a quitter. I will turn over every stone or grain of sand before I submit to the callings of Mother Nature.”

The ending to that story had me laughing until I couldn’t breathe!

Chelsea wraps up the book by recounting other recent adventures which include:

The Swiss Alps (injures herself)

Telluride (loses her dog)

Yellowstone National Park (loses herself)

Again, I know that her sense of humor is not for everyone, but if you do enjoy her books, give this one a try!

March 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.